Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Continuing to adjust

To be honest, I had a pretty difficult night last night. I worked until around 11:30 p.m. and then went to bed, only to awaken at 2 a.m. to toss and turn and worry about when I was going to get back to sleep. From what I understand from some others, this kind of adjustment isn't terribly unusual bit it is nevertheless frustrating. I finally got back to sleep and had a good night.

I spent a good part of today doing back-home stuff. There were several things going on at the office that required some thought and then immediate response. I also had an endowment report that I needed so submit by October 31, 2005, so Sue helped me by sending over the background information and then I put the report together. This day and age where you can exchange information across unlimited distances is absolutely amazing. However, I've gotten so used to it that I get impatient when it doesn't work just right. I still don't have access to my server files and e-mail history files which I need for my ongoing work. I assume this will be resolved in the near future so that I can concentrate and be more efficient.

I also communicated with ILA and Kettering colleagues in preparation for the Amsterdam conference and in relation to the MUDEC/Universite du Luxembourg partnership. Francois Carbon from Luxembourg followed up on my suggestion that deliberation rather than debate might engage students more effectively in our exchange efforts. I sent him web links and suggestions and then corresponded with other Kettering colleagues in the U.S.A. to see if they had any suggestions. I hope that all concerned are willing to give deliberation a try because it has so much more potential in connecting those who participate.

I went on a long walk tonight and got some more pictures of the Differdange area. You likely noticed in the pictures above that commercial and residential areas are all very tightly packed. Most houses are either townhouses or duplexes. Some are very old and restored and others are newer. They are all well kept and there is a sense of energy when you're out at the time people return from work. During the day things are very quiet because I presume many people work in places other than Differdange. In the evening, it's quiet when families get home and retire to the privacy of their homes.


Jon R. said...

Jet lag took me a good four or five days to really get over. I empathize very strongly - losing sleep is so hard, especially when the schedule is so full. I hope the deliberative discussions come to fruition - sounds like your colleagues at least, are willing to entertain the idea.

It's interesting - perhaps it was just Bangor, or the UK, or the disciplines within which I took courses, but I didn't run in to many classes using debate as a primary ingredient of learning. There was, however, a strong expectation that when we drew on our readings in class discussions, we represented the author's sentiments in a very orthodox manner. We could draw our own conclusions about the issue as a whole, but you'd be corrected if you thought Gillingham viewed Henry II's failed Welsh campaign in 1165 one way when the text "really said" something else. So events, issues, topics, etc. were open to interpretation, but texts far less so.

Steve said...

Keep forcing yourself into the normal schedule and your body will slip into the swing of things quickly. The coffee situation does not sound good. . . maybe you should buy a coffee maker or french press and brew your own? Coffee has seen me threw many "jet lags". Devin and I are happy to hear that the trip is going well so far. When are you taking your first recreational trip? You're in Europe you can work all the time!!!