Sunday, November 27, 2005

One museum - just one!

As I said, I was judiciously avoiding things that I know Diane, Darbi and I will do. I chose to go into the Musee Rodin because I doubt that we'll have time to go back there three weeks off. The Museum was originally built in 1728 as one of the finest houses in Paris. It passed through several owners, serving as either a grand residence or a wonderful "ball" staging facility.

The house was used as an artists' colony called Hotel Biron from 1904 to 1911. Rodin lived there with other notables like Isadora Duncan, Cocteau, Matisse, Rilke, and others. During this time Rodin became inspired by the house, gardens and the wonderful natural environment to complete his artistic work. The house now is a museum with collection inside and with some of Rodin's most renowned works outside in the natural garden setting. Below are pictures of the REAL sculptures that I've seen pictures or copies of for decades. The first - The Thinker. Second - The Burghers of Calais. Third - The Gates of Hell which combines The Thinker with a number of his other sculptures.



All in all, the Musee Rodin is an incredible collection of one of the 19th century's greatest artists.

No comments: